Text analysis
The text "morningg!! You hanging?? *laughing
cry*" was sent my friend the morning after she went to a festival. The
opening "morningg!!" contains non-standard spelling showing the
message is informal. The closing; "*laughing face emoji* uses an emoji
that reinforces the idea of it being informal and is showing an emotion that
may not have been portrayed beforehand. The emoji is being used to help the
reader identify the emotions behind the text and realize it's a joke. The
colloquialism; "hanging”, which could also be seen as an elision, is being
used as a shorter way of asking if the reader has a hangover. By using both of
those techniques, I am showing how comfortable I am with the precipitant. The
non- standard punctuation "!!" and "??" located in the opening
and closing is again portraying the informality of text. Along with this, by
using them excessively, I am showing a kind of urgency in the text. I am also
using the punctuation to express my excitement/ concern as I talk. The
exclamation points are being used to show I want a response quickly and are
being used to show that I am excited to be talking to my friend in the morning;
I am also excited to talk to her about how the festival was etc. The question
markers are being used to show my concern but are also there for a sarcastic
effect, they're showing Emilia that I’m concerned as of whether she is feeling
well or not, but as I used a few, it is also showing I’m being somewhat
sarcastic and making fun of her situation which is then reinforced with an
emoji. Relating back to the Ted talk done by Jon Mewhorter, a text is
structured in a way the same as speech, but as we've grown with it, we've
created a new kind of language so we are able to get our emotions across a lot
easier.
Furthermore, in
another text sent to my mum; "Hey, could you come get me, please?" I
use much more formal language. *rest in book*
Comments
Post a Comment